Wednesday 6 January 2010

Where Demons Dare - Kim Harrison

In my opinion, Where Demons Dare is easily the best of the books in the series about the Hollows and Rachel Morgan by Kim Harrison. I thoroughly enjoyed book five, but this entry into the series had me gripped from the very start.

We open the story with an explosive visit from Al, where he reveals that he is being summoned each evening out of jail by a demon summoner hell-bent on getting rid of Rachel. This sets the stage for a plot that encompasses much more about Rachel's parentage (her mum has a much larger role in this book than prior, which was good for me because I love her rather kooky character); leads her further into the grips of demons; and highlights exactly how Rachel is different from other witches.

I loved the continual dropping in of secrets that have been built up from the first book of the series, and the resolution to various niggling little things that I have wondered about their inclusion i.e. the famous witch singer Takata and Rachel's mysterious neighbour Keasley.

I was impressed that Harrison could continue to change my opinion of characters who have been established at other points in the series - Al, for instance, is a character that I have a great deal of regard for now. I've always enjoyed his appearances in prior books, but here he really came into his own. I was glad that the plot steered away from vamps and Weres, after the last few books. I loved the addition of Bis and hope he has a fuller role in books to come!

The book doesn't garner the full five stars from me because of a few bits and pieces that nagged me.

I really didn't enjoy the appearance of Marshall and felt he didn't add a great deal to the plot, apart from putting Rachel into situations where she could have encounters with characters like Trent.

For me, Ceri is a character I struggle to appreciate, and her actions here had me rolling my eyes.

Also, Rachel and Ivy's latest encounter feels very much like recycling text from previous books in the series. I was pleased to see that Harrison has managed to bring an (at least temporary) halt to their will they-won't they situation that was boring me somewhat after five books filled with it.

All in all, though, this book was magnificant and an ideal slice of escapism! I can't wait to read the seventh, where I hope that the lingering issues of Tom the black witch and Kisten's killer are dealt with.

No comments:

Post a Comment