Saturday 3 July 2010

SF and Fantasy Masterworks Reading Project



I am pleased to announce a new project aiming to read the full 130+ books in the Gollancz SF and Fantasy Masterworks series. A fantastic group of bloggers has come together to provide this resource: including people such as Larry, Niall and our overlord, Patrick.

I was thrilled to be included because, when I had a look at the list of SF and Fantasy Masterworks, I realised I'd read just one of them. One. That being War of the Worlds. Now I know as a book blogger my emphasis is most definitely on the new books being released, but I had no idea that the bias was quite so skewed. Most of the influential authors and works - some of which have inspired my current favourite authors working today - have completely passed me by, and so I am determined now to read through as much of the list as feasibly possible around my other blogging commitments.

I am starting with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It will be my first ever work by Dick. Since I am one of the few people to not have watched Bladerunner, I am glad to say that this will have no influence on my reading of this classic. I will follow it with Grass by Sheri S Tepper.

So, please, click on the link above and add the new SF and Fantasy Masterworks blog to your Reader of choice - we look forward to seeing your comments and contributions!

4 comments:

  1. This is the kind of project I'd love to get in on, even if just on my own as a personal challenge, but if I did such a thing, I probably wouldn't be able to until next year. I've got a bunch of review copies of books to read, and I need to get back to my challenge of reading all of Mercedes Lackey's "Valdemar" books before I take on anything else!

    Still, I look forward to seeing the awesome commentary on the books of that list! And hopefully every once in a while I'll think of something intelligent to say as a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read 33 of the SF and 17 of the Fantasy selections, have another half dozen here but unread. I'd forgotten how much Philip K. Dick is on the list! Wow.
    - Richard R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tea and Tomes - well, definitely, definitely come across and see what people are saying about the books! I treasure each and every one of your comments on my blog, so I know we'll all do the same when you comment on the Masterworks blog :-)

    @brokenbullhorn - Wow, that is good going! I dream of the day when I'll have read even half of them, to be honest. Although it is surprising just how many of them I realised I've been *wanting* to read for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Do Androids Dream. Once you've read that i'd recommend Scalzi's The Androids Dream, it's kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete