Monday 1 February 2010

UK vs. US covers - The Revenge

Here we are again people - another crazy edition of Spot the Best Cover. The previous one focused on fantasy, this one covers both styles of speculative fiction - sci-fi AND fantasy.

Again, pick the one you like the best, and find out if your tastes are as American as pie, or as English as disappointment.

(Pressing the reset button at the bottom will clear your answers.)


1. Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton








2. The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson








3. Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch








4. Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan








5. Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard








6. Voyager by Diana Gabaldon








7. Nation by Terry Pratchett








8. Spellwright by Blake Charlton








9. Makers by Cory Doctorow








10. Hyperion by Dan Simmons











Post a comment below with your score! Even better, suggest a theme for my third quiz so I can whap out more review posts while I finish reading an actual book (rather than looking at pictures of their covers).

15 comments:

  1. wow, exact opposite this time around 3/10 UK/US - last was 7/10 UK/US

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half and half this time around. 1,2,3,6,7 were all UK, the rest were (obviously) US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How strange! I did want to try and make it a little more tricksy for people to decide which they preferred - and then I ended up liking way more of the UK covers this time out. I wonder how much of that is just down to familiarity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got 4/10 UK this time. For a total of 11/20 UK for the two posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7/3 UK/US.
    My preferred US covers were Scott Lynch, Blake Charlton and Dan Simmons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6/10 in favour of British covers this time, lower than in the last round. And I have to stress again: British covers, magemanda! Scotland's all about disappointment too, I'll have you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, you know I'm doing it deliberately now just to wind you up, m'dear ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6/10 UK - although it would have been 8 if the UK covers for Hero of Ages and (especially) Spellwright weren't so atrocious ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 7/10 British! Woohoo! I didn't realise, though, that the blue cover for Nation was the UK version. Considering that's the one I ended up buying from the bookstore, I figured it would be the US version if versions differed at all, seeing as how Canada's considerably closer to the US. But nope, UK version after all. I'm glad, really. The US version doesn't appeal to me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 7/10 UK as expected... Spellwright is a good example how US covers can sometimes be better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same as before, 7/10 UK covers! I definitely prefer the US cover of Spellwright (Blake Charlton) though

    ReplyDelete
  12. 7/10 UK covers and I'm English so spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have 6/10 US covers, but I have two where I like both covers :)

    ReplyDelete